Our vision is the optimal physical, mental, and social well-being of the diverse populations of Virginia, the nation, and the world.
- Maintain and support high quality educational programs that prepare students to be critical thinkers and successful public health practitioners.
- Expand faculty and student opportunities and involvement in research of consequence.
- Strengthen partnerships with agencies engaged in public health through research, education and training, and service.
- Foster learning opportunities for students to work on global efforts that contribute to healthier populations and communities around the world.
Our mission is to provide exceptional public health educational experience through an inclusive academic community and high-quality undergraduate and graduate educational programs. We are committed to conducting innovative research that addresses domestic and global health problems to improve the health and well-being especially among marginalized communities.
MPH Core Values
- Community —We believe that enabling participation and fostering collaboration among stakeholders helps create healthy communities.
- Diversity — We promote a learning environment that allows students, faculty, and staff to realize their full potential by integrating individual strengths, developing talents and creativity, and maintaining mutual respect.
- Innovation — We reward excellence and welcome creative achievement for advancing public health.
- Justice — We believe individuals should have equitable access to resources and knowledge that support their right to achieve and freely participate in the improvement of individual and population health.
- Professionalism — We foster the development of public health professionals who will hold the highest ethical standards with competence, enthusiasm, respect, integrity, responsibility, accountability, and a commitment to life-long learning.
- Science — We are committed to scientific rigor, critical analysis, and sound reasoning in public health research and practice.
- Sustainability — We are dedicated to environmental, social, and economic stewardship in public health research, practice, and workforce development.