New Graduate Student Checklist
Congratulations on your admission to Mason! To get started, review the information below to prepare for your future as a graduate student in the Department of Global and Community Health (GCH).
1. Confirm Your Intent to Enroll
If you haven’t already confirmed your intent to enroll, you must send an email to the GCH MPH Program Coordinator Ms. Kelly Beckwith at firstname.lastname@example.org. Without this confirmation you will not be able to enroll in any courses. In the email provide the following information:
- First and Last Name
- Program of Study
- Statement of whether you wish to accept or decline the offer of admissions.
Once we receive your notice of intent to enroll, it may take 5 to 10 business days for activation of your record in Mason’s system.
2. Instructions for Submitting Official, Final Transcripts
Official, final transcripts are required before enrolling in the graduate program. We recognize that you may be currently enrolled or have recently completed a degree at another institution. To maintain your admission status in this graduate program, you must update your student record and submit the required documents to our office. A registration hold will be placed on your record and will only be removed after we receive these updated documents.
Promptly submit your updated transcript with final grades and/or the degree conferral date to the following address:
CHHS Graduate Admissions Office
George Mason University
4400 University Drive, MS 5A8
Fairfax, VA 22030
Note: Students currently enrolled at Mason do not need to submit an updated transcript.
3. International Students
International students must visit the Office of International Programs and Services (OIPS) to ensure the required immigration and paperwork is completed PRIOR to enrolling at Mason. OIPS offers a variety of pre-arrival and arrival services for incoming international students. To get started, explore the iCenter@Mason website.
If you have any additional questions related to your immigration documentation, please email email@example.com or call 703-993-2970.
4. Resolve Any Admissions Holds
You may have a registration hold on your account if you need to submit official transcripts or were admitted provisionally to the university. These holds will keep you from registering for courses. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a question about a hold on your academic record.
5. Access Patriot Web – Register for Courses
All students use Patriot Web to manage their student accounts, register for classes, and perform degree evaluation and more.
The procedure to access the registration system is:
- First, activate your new student PatriotPass account. You will need your G number, indicated on your admission email/letter, and CLAIM ID number, which is your birth month, day and year in two-digit format (i.e., June 30, 1976, would be entered as 063076).
- Once you have followed the prompts on this page, you can access any system at the university.
- Course registration occurs via Patriot Web. Login to Patriot Web Self Service then follow the pathway from Student Services to Registration.
- If you have problems logging into Patriot Web or activating your new account, contact the ITS Support Center (email@example.com).
- The Schedule of Classes is available online. Course descriptions can be found in the university catalog. Check the academic calendar for semester start dates and important deadlines.
For a step-by-step guide to registration, visit the University Registrar’s website.
6. Activate your MasonLive Email Account
All students are required to activate and use their Mason Live email account for university correspondence. To create your MasonLive email, you must access the PatriotPass log-in page and select option 5. You will use your new Mason Username (also called Mason NetID) that you created when you activated your Patriot Web account.
7. Student Immunization Requirements
Virginia law requires all admitted university students to submit immunization documentation. Immunization requirements can be found on the Student Health Services website. A hold will be placed on your account and a late fee assessed if you do not submit your required immunization records by the posted deadline.
Visit Student Health Services to obtain the mandatory immunization forms. Your completed immunization form should be sent directly to Student Health Services. If you have trouble accessing the website, contact Student Health Services at 703-993-2135 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. Get your Student ID and Parking Pass
Students will need to obtain a Mason ID in order to utilize university services. Please visit the Mason ID website for more information.
To park on campus students will be required to have a Mason parking permit or pay daily fees in the visitor parking lots. To purchase your parking permit, visit Parking Services.
9. Plan to Attend Your Program Orientation
The College of Health and Human Services hosts a Graduate Student Orientation for all newly admitted students in the fall and spring. Information about the event is sent to students via email approximately one month before the event. The Graduate Student Orientation page has information on the college orientation as well as additional orientations held by individual graduate programs.