Assistant Professor, Nursing
Dr. Amanda Brooks is an Assistant Professor in the School of Nursing, teaching at the undergraduate and graduate levels, and serving as a provider in the Manassas MAP clinic. Brooks’ Doctoral Capstone focused on underserved and vulnerable populations and Type II Diabetes. Brooks has over 30 years of nursing experience, starting with caring for high-risk maternity patients, and moving into primary care as a nurse practitioner. Prior to coming to George Mason, Brooks taught for 18 years at 2 Virginia Community Colleges. At the first school, she cared for patients and precepted students in a nurse-managed community clinic. Most recently, Brooks was Professor of Nursing at Lord Fairfax Community College, where she was also Program Lead and Clinical Coordinator for the Fauquier Campus.
- Member of Review Committee for Senior Research Projects, Mount Vista Governor’s school, 2016-2021
- Volunteer, Nurse Practitioner, Fauquier Free Clinic 2007-2020
- Member, School of Nursing Undergraduate Council, 2021-present
- Member School of Nursing Faculty Organization, 2021-present
- Elsevier, 2018-2020, Served on the committee to review HESI questions for the concept based common nursing curriculum adopted by all Virginia Community Colleges. Reviewed questions for accuracy of content, flow of language and usefulness to students.
- Elsevier, 2017, Content Reviewer, Subject Matter Expert on the Sherpath for Pathophysiology online course, first edition. Reviewed 5 modules of content and assessments, checking for accuracy of content, flow of language, correctness of assessments, and overall usefulness to students.
- Elsevier, 2016, Content Reviewer, Subject Matter Expert for the Kee Online Drug Calculations Course, 8E. Reviewed 16 chapters of test banks, checking for accuracy of content, flow of language correctness of calculations and overall usefulness to students.
- Rising Star Award, Lord Fairfax Community College, 2016
- Collaboration Award, Lord Fairfax Community College, 2019
- Doctorate in Nursing Practice, Nursing/Family Nurse Practitioner, University of Virginia, 2013
- Master of Science, Nursing/Family Nurse Practitioner, Georgetown University, 1994
- Bachelor of Science, Nursing, University of Virginia, 1991